Wednesday, August 5, 2009

ihome remote

Today Sophie got a VERY late nap. Which means that she woke up VERY grumpy. The kind of 18 month old grumpy that takes at least an hour to get over. So I did the only thing that there was to do and hoisted her onto my hip for the long wait for her to snap out of it. We were about 15 minutes in (45 minutes of recovery time to go) when she grabbed the ihome remote control. (Sophie thinks that the ihome remote control is her cell phone.) She held it up to her ear and said in her very most pleasant voice "Hello! How are you?" I looked down at her. She was in full scowl mode. Unquestionably grumpy. And I thought hmmm... good. Apparantly Sophie has learned at 18 months what it takes many people 20 to 30 years to learn. And that is-- it doesn't matter how grumpy you feel or what kind of day you've had -- when you come in contact with someone else don't spread the misery, spread the pleasant. After all- they are having a day too, and who's to say that it isn't a harder one than yours. And if you cheer them up, you'll probably end up being cheered up yourself. I'm not advocating being fake. I'm just saying that if you have to choose between grumpy and pleasant ... Sophie and I think that pleasant is the way to go.

1 comment:

Book Look Column Author said...

this post reminds me why I love you so much!