Saturday, September 4, 2010

The sincerest form













I think that blogs are so inspiring. We have so much to learn from each other and so many people are sharing their points of view all across the country and world. Sometimes I take my inspiration to copy cat levels (remember this). But I hope that it is in an "immitation is the sincerest form of flattery" way. I would never copy someone elses idea and sell it but I would use someones idea to make my life better or more beautiful. And blogs have LOTS of good ideas. You probably know that nienie has a back to school feast. I'm sure that I'm not the first or last to scoop up that little idea and use it in my own home. NieNie's feast this year was beyond beautiful - anthropologie linens and homemade crowns - eclectic tablesettings. Love it. I decided I wanted to do a back to school feast last year and did it again this year. But ours is less a work of art and more of a last minute affair. Our linens were the one tablecloth that we have that fits our ginormous table, our placesettings were our everyday plates on top of the christmas chargers. But we have a theme for the year and we light the tall candles and the kids think that it is so special. Traditions are part of what binds a family - shared memories that string the six of us together. So I am so happy to have a new tradition. And in the spirit of sharing here are three blogs that give me great ideas:


for recipes try smitten kitchen

for books try booklook

for graphic design ideas try good look cookbook

And the recipe for the yummy punch we had at our back to school feast.

1 cup cranberry juice
1 can frozen lime juice (minute maid)

1- 2 liter bottle ginger ale

1/2 cucumber sliced thin

lots and lots of ice (important)

1 comment:

Book Look Column Author said...

Except for plagiarizing you are right - this is a great idea. Traditions reinforce happy family memories so good for you.